The City of Darlington held a series of free business seminars on Tuesdays in October as part of the Build Up Darlington program. If you are interested in receiving technical assistance or applying for a loan, please call 843-398-4000 ext. 103 to schedule an appointment or get more information.
Build Up Darlington
The Build Up Darlington Citywide Business Loan Program under the umbrella of the Darlington Downtown Revitalization Association and the City of Darlington offers assistance to
- See local businesses thrive
- Increase economic development
- Build healthier businesses
- Stabilize and expand existing businesses
- Bring people to the city to shop, live, and play.
The program has three aspects: Training, Consulting, and Lending.
Who Can Apply
- For-profit entities only
- Under-served entreprenuers
- Existing business owners
- Manufacturing, commercial, industrial, service, and retail businesses
Finetune your business plan and identify your business' strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities for growth with our technical assistance. Areas of help include accounting, marketing, bookkeeping, market analysis, financial management, tax services, international trade, inventory control, Point-of-Sale training assistance, legal assistance, credit counseling, strategic planning, sales training, and minority buisiness certification.
The Build Up Darlington Citywide Business Loan Program has a revolving loan pool to fund approved projects. Program loans can fund a variety of projects up to $10,000 with up to five years to repay. Non-traditional collateral is accepted, and projects must be within the city limits. Program participants must be willing to complete business training as needed or recommended.
For information, call David Vaughan at 843-395-2310.
Find the application, rules, and regulations below:
Small Business Development Center
Find more information at the Small Business Development Center website: http://www.florencesbdc.org/index.html
Historic Preservation Tax Incentives
Preserving historic buildings helps our town keep its character and charm. There are several federal and state tax credits and incentives available for property owners who choose to rehabilitate their buildings and keep those historic features. The Build Up Darlington program held a seminar about those incentives. See the presentation here.
These credits are available for commercial, industrial, and residential properties. Get the State Historic Preservation Office involved early in the process for the best chance at getting your project approved. Visit the office online at http://shpo.sc.gov/programs/tax/Pages/default.aspx or call Dan Elswick at (803) 896-6174.
Other Opportunities for Small Businesses
- The South Carolina Department of Commerce has an active Supplier Development Program that connects small companies with new business opportunities throughout the state. Visit www.SCBizNetwork.com, and click on "BuySC" for more information.
- The South Carolina Business Network is an interactive business portal that works to connect small businesses and individuals pursuing a business with local area resources such as finance options, new business opportunities, and regulatory answers. The network includes a Q&A section and a calendar of small business events.
- The Export Development Team with the S.C. Department of Commerce connects businesses with export opportunities through workshops, market research, product evaluation, trade event guidance, and one-on-one consulting. Contact Anita Patel or Clarke Thompson at 803-737-0438 or [email protected].
- The Small Busines Regulatory Review Committee is reviewing every proposed legislative regulation for adverse impact on small business. Concerns about the effect of any regularion can be brought to this committee for review.
For information, contact Greg Davis at 803-737-0601 or [email protected].
- Want to learn more about the labor market in Darlington County? Check out this analysis provided by the S.C. Department of Commerce.